PBSS Overview

School History


After the Liberation of Hong Kong from Japanese Occupation in 1945, a lot of children were deprived of education. Sister Katherine Lui of the Sisters of the Precious Blood was aware of this, so she rented a property in Wanchai and started a new subsidized school - Tack Ching Girls' Secondary School No.2., where classes are offered in morning session and afternoon session respectively. To begin with, the school offered classes ranged from kindergarten to junior secondary. Since 1952, senior secondary classes were offered so as to pave the way for advanced learning for the school's junior secondary graduates. In 1952, the school was relocated to No.1 Chung On Terrace, North Point. An expansion is witnessed in the next year as the Sisters of the Precious Blood funded the purchase of the vacant plot adjacent to the right hand side of the campus, thus creating a new sportsground. With the gradual completion of facilities acquisition, teaching and learning flourished as a result. In order to commemorate the grace by the Precious Blood of Jesus Christ, the school was renamed as Precious Blood Secondary School.


Sr. Katherine Lui,
the Foundress (Deceased)


With government's subsidy, another campus had been built in 1954 at Sing Woo Road, Happy Valley, which housed the classes originally operating from the Wanchai campus. A kindergarten campus was acquired two years later with government subsidy and encouragement at Holly Road, Happy Valley. In 1959, Sister Katherine Lui delegated the operation of the Precious Blood Secondary School to Sister Josephine Fan, so that she could focus on the operation of the Sisters of the Precious Blood. Under the leadership of Sister Fan, both school facilities and teaching and learning were flourishing. In 1965, a 5-year secondary school curriculum was instituted in line with the general practice at that time, while Sixth Form classes were opened too. In line with the government's drive to modernize the schools, a new five-storey state-of-the-art campus was built in 1979 on top of the open playground of the North Point Campus. The number of classes operated by the school expanded from 15 to 27.


Sr. Josephine Fan,
former Principal (Deceased)

From 1985 to 1995, the administration of the school had undergone the process of complete computerization. As the school participated in the Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination since 1993, a two-year Sixth Form Curriculum was adopted and the number of classes was expanded to 29. Thus, our graduates are benefited with an increased chance to be admitted into local universities through taking part in the Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination.